The church was founded in 1882 by a local farmer who also ran a brickworks and decided that there should be a church for his workers nearer to where they lived. Marsh Green is a part of the parish of Edenbridge but is a separate community about 1Ĺ miles away from the town. The church was immediately accepted into the Presbyterian Church of England and became a member of the United Reformed Church at its inception in 1972.
The church was originally named Greybury Church and is built with bricks from the Greybury Brickyard but was re-named St. Johnís Free Church in 1944.
The sanctuary was refurbished in 1998 and extensions were added in 1982 (to mark the churchís centenary) and in 1998 so that the premises are now well suited to the 21st century.
A school was also built next to the church and also opened in 1882. It was taken over by Kent Education Committee but the building continued to be owned by the church and it was the last Presbyterian church school in the country when it was closed in 1992. It is now a private house.
Sunday morning worship
'in the round'
Behind the church
Worship in the woods
(church weekend away)
External view of the church taken from
the village green