The church was opened on 21st June 1882 having been built by a Mr. J.T. Morton who was living locally at the time. Although Marsh Green is part of the Parish of Edenbridge it is a separate community about 1½ miles from the town and apparently it was thought that the villagers needed their own church. Mr. Morton was a wealthy purveyor of provisions, particularly to ex- patriates all over the Empire and he supplied Scott’s expedition to the Antarctic. His company’s headquarters was in Millwall and his workers founded Millwall FC. Mr. Morton had previously founded the church which has now become St. Andrew’s United Reformed Church in Dartford.
Mr. Morton came from Aberdeen originally so it may not come as a great surprise that the early members of the congregation applied to join the Presbyterian Church of England. The church was originally named Greybury Church (Mr. Morton owned the Greybury Estate) and is built with bricks from the Greybury Brickyard but it was re-named St. John’s Free Church in 1944.
The church became a member of the United Reformed Church on its inception in 1972. The sanctuary was refurbished in 1998 and extensions were added in 1982 (to mark the church’s centenary) and 1998 so that the premises are now well suited to the 21st century.
Mr Morton also built a school next to the church and this was also opened in 1882. It was taken over by Kent Education Committee but the building continued to be owned by the church and it was the last Presbyterian school in the country when it closed in 1992. It is now a private house.